Friday, December 26, 2008

Building a Sim house - Part I

I've uploaded quite a few pictures of completed Sims houses that I've built to my Flickr page, and a few pictures of rooms inside that I've decorated, but I've never included pictures of building a Sim house from the ground up. I noticed on my Flickr search results that there are people searching for pictures of how to build a Sims house nearly every day, so that inspired this post.



The first thing I do in building a Sims house is to design the entrance. This is usually an elevated porch with steps. Most of my porches are much larger than this and have multiple sets of steps.


Next, I decide what shape the house will be--sometimes determined by the size of the lot. In this case, the lot is very deep but not very wide, so I began with a long rectangle going back from the front porch, and then added bay windows on each side. In my opinion, this adds floor space without ending up with an over-large or boxy-looking house.


In my experience, Sims usually need to use the bathroom upon returning from work or school, so I have found it most effective to have at least one bathroom right at the front of the house. However, I usually have more of a foyer than this--since this is a narrow and long lot, I didn't have enough space in width to have the bathrooms PLUS the foyer. Instead, the front hallway opens up into the livingroom and an entrance into the kitchen/dining room.


Behind the kitchen/diningroom is the master suite--a nice-sized bedroom and two bathrooms (the first-floor residents are a couple). The door to the right of the loveseat opens directly into the kitchen. The door to the left opens into the livingroom.

Part II will include pictures of the kitchen/dining room, the second floor bedroom/bath, and the completed house with roof from the front and side, before and after landscaping.

No comments: