Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Hello, my name is Sheri...

...and I am a Sims addict.

It all started many moons ago when visiting my mother in Ohio. She'd gotten a new computer and it came with SimCity installed. So, while I was checking my email, I saw it and clicked on it. Before long, my mother was sighing in intense annoyance at me from her chair in front of the TV and occasionally saying "Are you going to play with that thing all night?" Subtext: You drove 400 miles to visit me and you are spending too much time playing on the computer.

When I got home, I got SimCity for myself. I loved SimCity, but I didn't have the business and financial smarts at the time to really do well at managing the city and its resources.

When the original The Sims came out, I snapped it up. I could play for hours and hours. My desktop computer was old and slow at that time, so I put The Sims on my laptop. I would come home from work and sit on the couch and play Sims to unwind.

Then, one Christmas, a friend got me The Sims 2. Wow. It was as if those dudes over at EA Games had bugged my livingroom and had been listening to all the stuff I was bitching about on The Sims and the enhancements that I would like to see. Finally, there was genetics involved and every kid didn't look like every other kid--they actually looked like their parents! And there were aspirations that you had to fulfill for your Sims--that part can be hard work!

I can never quite decide whether my addiction is most rooted in house-building-and-decorating or in gameplay-and-social-interaction. I kid with my older brother, a builder, that there are TWO builders in the family--he just happens to build the real houses. I LOVE to build and decorate Sims houses. But I also love to create and grow a family. I love to get my Sims to fall in love, get married and raise a family. Here are some pix from my Sim-called life:




























Here's a link to my Sims collection on Flickr:

No comments: