Saturday, December 27, 2008

Building a Sim house - Part II

In Part I, I talked about designing the front entrance of the house, laying out the basic structure of the first floor foundation, laying in bathrooms at the front of the house, and creating the first floor master bedroom suite with easy access to the kitchen. In Part II, I continue with the rest of the house and show the finished project.

As shown in Part I, I created a long rectangular foundation with a bay window push out on each side. One bay window area becomes the combined kitchen and dining room as shown here. After this picture was taken, I did add an island between the appliances and the table, to put the served food (and the dishwasher) closer to the diners. I used a very neutral color palette in walls and floor and then used white counters with a deep teal top and lighting to match (pretty close, anyway) as the pops of color.


In the above shot, you can see the entire first floor--small porch, 2 guest bathrooms, combined kitchen & dining room, combined livingroom and skills room, master suite with 2 bathrooms and a back deck with hot tub.


Since there are only 3 people living in the house, and no immediate plans to expand the family, I added only a partial second floor vs. covering the entire space of the first floor with the second. This provides the little mini-roofs on the first floor that you will see in the completed pictures, below. This is the upstairs bedroom and bathrooms (only 1 bathroom is furnished in this pic). The upstairs living space hadn't been furnished yet when this picture was taken.


Here, I've added the roof and the house itself is complete except for the landscaping. As you see, the mini-roofs at the front and sides (and back, which you can't see from this angle) are a result of adding only a partial second floor. The roofing then compensates for the unused space.



Voila! All done. I put in a garden of rosebushes and ground flowers in on both sides of the entrance and added trees on each of the front corners. It isn't as grand as many of the Sim hosues I've built, but I'm pretty happy with it.


I have found, over years of building Sim houses, that it makes sense to build houses to meet the Sims needs and not just to build a house that looks good. For example, if you don't have enough bathrooms, you aren't going to be able to get your Sims to work or school on time. If you have the kitchen too far from the entrance, your Sims may miss their bus or carpool (where they have been eating their breakfast).

No comments: